Thursday, December 6, 2018

Starting over again

Where has the time gone?  It's been 4 years plus since I have posted on this blog!  Lots of changes over the years.  Where to start?  I have arthritis in my thumb, now.  Haven't been doing much hand knitting or spinning, because of that, but have exchanged hand knitting for machine knitting.  Did my research and bought an Artisan 70 D mid gauge machine, with a ribber.  Am learning how to use it, and made a few of Diane Sullivan's 3 panel baby afghans, and some baby hats for a local charity called the Calumet Hats for Hope Initiative.  We meet for knitting/crocheting and dinner at a local restaurant every Thurs evening.

This past summer there was an ad in the paper for a knitting machine for sale, made a  phone call, only to discover it was a Brother kh910!  An electronic standard gauge machine,with a ribber, lace carriage, garter carriage, linker, many many patterns, 3 totes full of cone yarn, table, and tons of accessories!   So far have made some swatches, used the ribber, and the electronic patterning to do a couple newborn sized hats, and a practice mitten.  Am so grateful to the person who offered the machine to me!

Also have been using a plastic bed machine, a Bond Incredible Sweater Machine, so between the 3 machines have every size yarn covered, now and it's a lot easier on my thumb/wrist. The Bond is  very different from the metal bed machines, in that it only does flat knitting,but still a very nice machine to learn on, and takes worsted weight yarn.     

In between the machine knitting, have been making some things on my rigid heddle loom.  Scarves and  dishcloths are what's usually on there.  It needs another warping, have been thinking about making some scarves for the knitting group mentioned above.

It is winter, here and am waiting to get enough snow for cross country skiing.  I recently adopted a dog from the Humane Society who loves being out in the woods, so will have a cute willing hiking/skiing/snowshoeing buddy.  He came from Missouri, and wasn't used to the cold.  Now he is getting acclimated to it, and loves running in the snow!  He doesn't seem to need his coat as much, now.  We named him Pepper, btw.  Am looking forward to sharing photos of him, and my projects, soon.

One more thing I hope to talk about on this blog is my weight loss journey.  Three years ago I lost 100 # by following a keto diet.  Am currently struggling, and have gained back around 30 pounds, but am not giving up.  Would like to explore weight issues a little, as well.

Will go though my links, some are not updated, and others probably are gone, now.  Am looking forward to updating everything and posting often again.


2 comments:

Hilary said...

I lost 30 lbs this year.........I did weight watchers....on my own.......and I also got a new dog last January, and walking her has become my daily priority........
I am kind of shocked that I was able to lose the weight, figured I was too old to do that......but by golly, it's gone.
It's an ongoing thing.......just keep working at it, and don't be too hard on yourself.

Karen said...

Thank you Hillary, I'm not giving up, just working on not reverting back to former bad habits. Way to go on losing the 30 pounds! You are right, it is an ongoing thing.

Weaving tools

This scarf is made from Mandala yarn in Parrot. The color changes are too long,am not real happy with the large patches of colors. The y...